Monday, December 2, 2013

My Daily Skin Care Regimen

My Daily Skin Care Products
Hello There Beautiful People!  
My first post was all about my daily make up essentials, so now that I got your attention with all the fun stuff, let's get down to business!

Skin care is very important and definitely some serious business.  Many people think that makeup can be used to hide problems with their skin.  Although this may work in some cases, always keep in mind that makeup will only enhance problems that you may have with your skin rather than disguising it.  I know...shocking! lol   Think about it this way, if the foundation of something is not strong, anything you put on top of it doesn't really have the opportunity to be the best that it can be.

That's my schpeel, now let's move on to the good stuff.



Morning Skin Care Routine
  1. First I rinse my face with cold water, this mainly helps me wake up...I'm not a morning person lol
  2. Next I take a cotton pad with my Caudalie toner and I wipe my entire face.  It's so refreshing!  It's also alcohol free, so it doesn't dry out my skin.
  3. After my toner has soaked into my skin, I use my Idealist Serum by Estee Lauder.
  4. I apply my Caudalie eye cream next while my serum absorbs into my skin.
  5. My Hydrationist moisturizer by Estee Lauder is applied next (I use dry skin formulation for winter and normal/combination for the rest of the year)
  6. The last step for my skin care before I apply makeup is my Neutrogena Drytouch sunscreen SPF 55...All year round!

Night Time Skin Care Routine
  1. If I am wearing makeup, I use makeup wipes to remove my makeup.
  2. Next I use Dior Duo Express Eye Makeup Remover with a cotton pad to remove my eye makeup including mascara and eyeliner.
  3. After that I wet my face with lukewarm water.
  4. I apply a small amount of Estee Lauder Perfectly Clean Facewash to my wet Clarasonic Mia Brush and cleanse my face with the brush until the automatic timer shuts off.
  5. After rinsing the face wash from my face with cold water I use my Caudalie toner with a cotton pad to wipe my entire face.
  6. I then apply my Advanced Night Repair Serum by Estee Lauder after the toner has soaked into my skin.
  7. Next I apply my Caudalie eye cream while the serum absorbs into my face.
  8. The last step in my night time routine is my Estee Lauder Hydrationist Moisterizer. (Dry skin formulation for winter, normal/combination for the rest of the year).

Review of the products mentioned:

Dior - Duo Express Eye Makeup Remover
This is a great eye makeup remover for all types of eye makeup.  Here are some reasons why I recommend this product.

  • I don't really wear waterproof mascara, but I do wear waterproof eyeliner and it does a great job removing it with minimal effort.  Remember, when removing eye makeup, make sure you use a product that doesn't require you to wipe hard and tug around your eye area.  The skin around your eye area is significantly thinner than the rest of your face.  Not only is it more sensitive, it will also wrinkle and loose elasticity the quickest if you are not gentle.
  • The formulation is great and effective.  I don't have to use a lot of product to remove my makeup.
  • It doesn't sting my eye and it doesn't have an irritating scent.
  • I often use it to remove my face makeup as well if I don't have makeup wipes.
  • It does leave a residue because of the oil base formula, but it is easily removed with either toner or face wash.




Estee Lauder - Perfectly Clean Face Wash (Normal/Combination)
This has been my favorite face wash for the past 7 years!  I love it and so you can imagine my disappointment when I found out that it was discontinued.  Why... why do companies like to fix something that's not broken?!?  I know that they have a brand new face wash to replace this one but I read mixed reviews on it.  I won't knock it until I try it.  I actually received a travel size one in a Gift with Purchase a few months ago so I will try it and review it... (fingers crossed).  Even though you might not be able to purchase this item, here are some reasons why it's been my staple face wash.


  • This one tube practically lasts me 8 months or more.  A little bit goes a long way.  It is super creamy and has a rich lather which feels so luxurious on my skin.
  • Even in the winter months when my face is super dry, this face wash does not strip my skin of moisture.  It doesn't leave my skin feeling dry like some other face washes.  
  • It has a pleasant light scent which is not over powering.  
  • It leaves my skin feeling squeaky clean!  Like it actually feels clean!
  • It doesn't remove all of my makeup or my mascara and eyeliner like it claims, but I use this after I remove my makeup with my wipes so it cleans up the residue of my makeup and eye makeup really well.  Besides I prefer to remove my eye makeup with an oily feeling remover anyway since that puts less stress around my eye area.



Clarasonic Mia in Black (Comes with "normal" brush head)

Okay, so you can't see me right now but I am hugging my Mia.  I love love love this thing and I think it's the best thing that ever happened to skin care!  I bought the black one that you see in the picture above because it looked unisex enough for me to convince my main man to try it. Because guess what?  Guys can use this too!  

Clarasonic makes a few different versions of this cleansing brush.  The original is much larger and has 2 speeds.  Also the original can accommodate the "body" brush attachment.  The Mia and the Mia 2 are smaller in size and are perfect for traveling.  They are both exactly the same except that the Mia 2 has 2 speeds.  All Mia's come with a "Sensitive " brush head, but for some reason the black one is the only one that comes with a "Normal" brush head.  I guess they figured mostly guys would buy that one.  This cleansing brush is not like anything you have ever used before.  Here are some reasons why I love it and what makes it so fantastic!
  • It's completely waterproof so you can use it in your shower.
  • It's rechargeable and comes with a cool magnetic charger so you don't have to worry about replacing batteries.
  • It comes with a one year warranty, but I read a bunch of forums and even after your warranty is up you can get your Clarasonic brush replaced at a reduced cost if it happens to die on you.
  • It's got an oscillating sonic head which has 300 movements per second.  That just means it moves really fast.  Sometimes it may look like its just vibrating, but it's actually rotating at a very rapid speed.
  • This cleans 1000% (not the real stats lol) better than washing your face using any other method.  The vibrating and oscillation motions loosen dirt and oil and exfoliates your skin so that all the other products you use to follow (toners, moisturizers etc) absorb into your skin better.
  • I have used both "Normal" and "Sensitive" brush heads and I prefer the "Sensitive" and would recommend that one for most skin types.  The "Normal" brush head made my skin peel around my nose area, and my skin is not usually that sensitive to exfoliating.
  • This tool can be shared as long as you use separate brush heads.  Guys, can probably get away with using the "Normal" one, but trust me "Sensitive" is just right for the most part.
  • There is an automatic timer that turns off when you're done so there is no guess work.
  • You have to charge it for around 20 hours, but after it's charged it can last you up to 2 weeks without charging.
  • The brush head needs to be changed once every 3-4 months.
  • Some people may experience "purging" when they first start using it, but my skin was fine.  
  • After the first use I noticed my skin felt extremely soft and squeaky clean!
  • After about a week I noticed my skin was so radiant, my blemishes were fading and my pores appeared smaller and less noticeable.  Although I must mention that my pores were not very large to begin with.
Overall this is the heart of my skin care.  After using this, I can't imagine any other way to deep clean my face.

*Tip*  The replacement brush heads come with a sticker on the cover so you can write down when you need to replace the brush head.  I stick mine on the bottom corner of my bathroom mirror so that I remember to replace the brush head.  You can also set up a reminder on your phone.


Caudalie - Moisturizing Toner
Many people always ask me why they should use a toner.  This is what I always tell them:  a toner replenishes your pH balance.  Cleansing your skin removes dirt and oils, but it also removes a lot of essential oils that your skin needs to stay hydrated.  A toner helps restore that balance and replenishes that level of hydration so that your other products (ie. serums and moisturizers) can work to their highest potential.  
After Estee Lauder discontinued my all time favorite toner and reformulated it with alcohol, I have had a very hard time finding a substitute.  I have to say that Caudalie's toner pictured above has come very close to replacing my love for that EL toner.  Here are some reasons why I love it.

  • It is free of any parabens, sulphates, fragrances or GMO's and of course the selling point for me was it does not contain any alcohol.
  • Caudalie's products are mostly all made from extracting stem cells from grapes, without getting too technical, it just means that it is very gentle yet effective because of this technology they use.
  • It is ultra hydrating to my skin and so refreshing.



Estee Lauder - Idealist Pore Minimizing Serum
I started using this serum about 7 years ago, and it really changed my skin's texture a lot!  As you can tell, I am a huge Estee Lauder fan, and for good reason.  Their skin care is phenomenal.  They make a lot of bold claims about the effectiveness of their skin care, rightfully so, but here are the things that I love about this serum in particular.
  • It has a silicone texture, and although silicone does not add anything to long term effects, it sure does make my skin feel and look flawless.  
  • This is a pore minimizing serum and it does make the appearance of my pores much smaller (even though as mentioned my pores are not super large) However, I must say that products that claim to minimize pores are all temporary.  This means that if you notice that the product is making your pores smaller, the results will revert once you stop using the product.
  • Makes my skin tone appear more even. 
  • Makes my skin feel tighter and firmer, even though this is not a firming serum.
  • This serum makes my moisturizers absorb into my skin better.  Otherwise I find that my moisturizers just sit on top of my skin. 

Estee Lauder - Advanced Night Repair
If the Clarasonic Mia is the heart of my skin care, Advanced Night Repair is the artery! lol  I cannot say enough great things about this product.  This is one of those products that when you first use it, you will notice that it feels great on our skin, but you won't really notice what it is doing until you stop using it.  I call it "insurance in a bottle".  I know that if I keep using this serum, my skin will thank me down the road.  I saw how vital it is when I stopped using it for a while.  My skin stopped looking healthy, lost it's glow and really lacked the supple look.  That's when I knew that I can't ever stop using it.  I am HOOKED!  I can't tell you how many times I hear people saying "I'm too lazy to wash or take care of my skin at night, but I wash it in the morning."  This totally freaks me out.  Remember, our skin regenerates and repairs at night.  It is the most important time for our whole body to repair the damage and the abuse it took from our day to day activities.  This is why night time routine is the most important.  As you noticed, I don't usually wash my face with a cleanser in the morning, mostly because I don't want to further strip my skin of the natural oils, but also because I do a deep cleansing at night.  (Also make sure you change your pillow cover on a regular basis since your face will take in all the dirt from pillow covers).  Here are some reasons why I highly recommend Advanced Night Repair.
  • It is great for all skin types and all ages.
  • 3 Drops of this serum and my skin feels instantly hydrated and luminous.
  • I wake up with extremely supple skin.  My nose area is my driest and with this serum, my nose is completely hydrated.  My nose looks oily sometimes when I wake up, but it's not. Just really hydrated.  
  • You only need to use this at night, but you have to be consistent, just like with anything, to see results.
  • It neutralizes all the radicals and pollutants in the environment so that it doesn't damage my epidermis.  (I feel really good knowing this because I am extremely cautious about environmental damage to the skin.  Many of you who know me, know I stay away from the sun as much as I can).
  • It absorbs into my skin really fast and helps my moisturizers absorb better as well.
  • I can apply with a damp sponge on top of my foundation if I feel I need an extra boost on my skin in terms of hydration. 
  • If my skin is feeling irritated or if I have exposed my skin to the sun, this serum just soothes my skin.


Caudalie - Eye and Lip Cream
I have come across this eye cream after I received a sample and though trial and error.  I used to use Advanced Night Repair for eyes, and although I loved that product, I feel like I needed something with a bit more comfort feeling and a bit more emollient/creamy.  I have been using this eye cream for 11 months now, and guess what?  I am still on my first tube.  Here are some reasons why I love it.
  • It really hydrates and soothes my eye area.  As I mentioned, the eye area is the most sensitive and the skin is so thin, that you need to take extra care so that you do not develop premature wrinkles and loose elasticity.
  • A little goes a long way!  As mentioned I have had the same tube for 11 months.  This is partly because the product is so well formulated you only need a tiny amount for under and on eye lid.  Also it's because the nozzle is a tiny little hole which allowed a little product to come out at once so you can really control how much product comes out and you don't end up wasting it.  Also it's extremely hygienic because you are not sticking your fingers in a jar.
  • You can apply on top of concealer.  This is such a plus point for me.  Sometimes I just need that extra hydration after I have applied concealer and most eye creams don't mix well with makeup because of the formulation of oils and other ingredients.  But this one mixes very well with a bunch of different concealers I have tried.
  • This products has not caused melia bumps to occur (tiny white heads).  These bumps usually occur out of allergic reaction to a product or if you are using a product with excessive oils.  Your skin (especially your eye area) doesn't know what to do with it so it holds on to it in the form of these bumps.
  • I haven't tried this cream around my lip area enough to know if it makes a difference, so I cannot speak to it on that level.
  • I have dark circles around my eyes, I can't say this products makes a difference in treating them.  Dark circles are usually either caused from lack of sleep or they are hereditary.  So makeup it is to cover them puppies!

Estee Lauder - Hydrationist (Normal/Combination and Dry)
Although my skin is pretty dehydrated, mostly in the winter months, my skin does not do well with oil based moisturizers.  That's why I adore this moisturizer from Estee Lauder.  It is aqua (water) based but does an amazing job hydrating my skin.  It is honestly like a big drink of water for my skin.  I use the dry formulation for winter and normal/combination for the rest of the year.  I always purchase the one without SPF.  That way I can use this day and night.  I always like to layer a separate sunscreen on top anyway and love that it doesn't have an expiry date since there is no SPF.  Here are some reasons why I love this stuff.
  • The texture of this is amazing.  It's ultra hydrating and silky smooth, yet it does not leave am oily film or residue.
  • It feels fresh and has a slight fragrance which is not offensive at all.
  • Because this is a water based moisturizer, I can mix it with my foundation to make my own tinted moisturizer with no mixing issues.  
  • It absorbs into my skin fast (also because of my serums).



Neautragena - Dry-Touch Sunscreen SPF 55
This product is my portable umbrella for my skin. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not a sunlover.  I mean I love how the sun makes everything look and I think it's beautiful, but I stay away from the sun in fear of sun damage.  Many woman of colour don't realize the harmful affects the sun has on their skin because the damage is not so apparent on our skin right away.  Caucasian women see the damaging affects right away in the form of redness or burning so it's a little easier to tell when you need to get out of the sun.  Overall, I think every one needs to be more cautious about mister sun.  Sunburns are no joke.  It is actually damaging many layers deep into your epidermis and unfortunately, most of the times these damages are irreversible.  That's why you will notice many people with freckles or dark pigmentation around the highest points of their face.  
I use sunscreen all year round.  The sun and the damage it may cause is apparent in the summer, but it is also very damaging in the winter as well.  Here are some reasons why I love this sunscreen and recommend it for EVERYONE!
  • It has a broad spectrum of protection.  Both UVA and UVB.  This means that it will protect you from damaging sun rays outdoors but also damaging affects from indoor lighting as well.  This is something we do not think of, but is very important.  Especially if you work in a retail environment with those bright lights on you all the time.
  • This sunscreen is oil free and doesn't feel heavy like other sunscreens I have tried.  It doesn't alter my makeup in anyway in terms of colour or texture.
  • It comes in a whole range of SPF and goes all the way up to SPF 100, but I find SPF 55 is perfect for me.  The higher ones start looking really white, especially on darker skin tone, and that's not cute lol.
  • This bottle lasts me for a year and half and then some.  The expiry on these are pretty good, most of the time over 2 years.  Remember to always check expiry dates before purchasing products that have an expiry date.
  • It is waterproof, so great on vacations.  Although you should reapply after swimming or if you perspire heavily.
One last thing I would like to mention is that fact that skin care does not have a sex.  In other words the products I mentioned above are not for women only.  Unless it is directly mentioned, most skin care is good for both sexes.  Most of the time companies package it differently for marketing reasons since men might not care for "girly" packaging.  But the important thing is, the products, for the most part, is exactly the same and have the same great effectiveness for both women and men.  

I hope that you have enjoyed my skin care routine and reviews on some of my life line products.  Always remember that everyone's skin is different so just because they may work for me, doesn't mean they will work the same on everyone.  Trial and error is the best way to find the best products that will work for you.  I hope that I have given some guidelines as to what to look for when searching for skin care products.  Also, I know that skin care can get extremely expensive, but there are also other great options in the drug store that are at a more affordable price range.  L'Oreal, for example is a great line to try.  But also remember that you only have one face and one body so treat it well and it will be good to you!

Since my first post, I have received so many great questions in my inbox via FB.  Please leave me questions below so that everyone can see and I will answer directly on the blog.  You would be surprised how many people ask the same questions.  

Please follow me on  both of my Instagram pages "MuffyFresh" and "Mafruha_MUA"  for pictures of my makeovers and make sure to "like" my FB page.

I am so happy with the feedback, love and support I have been receiving and would like to thank every one for taking the time to read my blog.

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. I've been on the fence about the Advanced Night Repair but you just made my mind up for me. Also, LOVE my Clairsonic!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technological innovation has always been now there in making destin breast implants lives connected with men and women easier. In truth, thanks to technological know-how the planet involving thoughts has also been recently vanquished. Don’t make an effort to assume filthy right here people. Exactly what I’m speaking about is the like link that can take place via online dating sites along with chatting suites or even program for example ICQ, MSN or maybe MIRC. Homepage

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YzF2cy1gjk

    ReplyDelete