Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Summer Skin Care Essentials


Hello Gorgeous People,

I just wanted to share some of my must haves and must do's that I use/do to ensure the summer months treat my skin with love.  If you're interested keep reading!



1.  First and foremost, the most important thing to do is to keep hydrated!  I know I could do a lot better with this part myself.  But I can't stress enough how important it is to drink lots and lots of water.  If water is too bland for you, try adding some lime/lemon or infuse your H20 with your favorite fruits/berries.  Another alternative is coconut water...yum!

2.  Keep your face feeling and looking supple and hydrated using a face cream that is water or gel based.  Gel, water or plant  based moisturizers are great for those of you who don't like the feel of creams on your face during summer months because they might make you feel greasy and oily.  These creams have a light watery texture and absorb into your skin really fast. Kind of like a huge drink of water...for your face.
Don't skip this step because no matter how oily or greasy your skin feels with  your moisturizer, without it you're skin is aging.  Especially if you're out in the sun...yikes!

3.  This next product is actually just as important as keeping hydrated.  This is of course my beloved sunscreen.  Those of you who know me, know I do not step out of the house without my skin umbrella aka sunscreen.  I use it 365 days a year and I suggest you do the same.  I reviewed my favorite sunscreen in a previous post, and I also outline the importance of wearing sunscreen so check it out!
I also highly recommend wearing a sunscreen on any parts of the body where its exposed to the sun.  I love using the spray kinds.  They are so easy to use and you don't necessarily have to rub it in.  Make sure you re-apply every so often especially if you're in the water or if you're sweating.

4.  A lip balm with SPF.  Yes...it's even important to protect your lips.  I like to use Carmex in a tube.  It's easy and convenient to carry and has SPF 15.  You can apply your lipsticks or lipstains over the lipbalm for extra protection and look super cute!

5.  I love using my facial sprays throughout the day during the summer months.  It's so refreshing and invigorating and really wakes up your skin!  I have a review of the Body Shop Vitamin E Spray which I love and you can check that out here.  Another great one is MAC FixPlus or Evian Mist.
A great tip is to keep these in the fridge so when you use it, it's like a cool mist on your skin. 
MAC now sells the mini size which is great for your purse.
**If you're attending an outdoor wedding and your makeup needs a little pick-me-up, blot your skin with blotters to remove excess oil and spray your face with a little spritz and your makeup will have new life!

6.  If you happen to be a sun lover, this one is for you!  For an even tan make sure you are exfoliating your skin on a regular basis.  This is actually a good habit for everyone.  Just like it's important for your face, it's also important for to exfoliate your whole body!
Exfoliating helps blood circulation and helps keep your skin toned and even.  It also helps take away all the dead skin to help you skin absorb your lotions and potions much better!  I exfoliate in the shower every single day using my favorite Body Shop Body Cloth...It's the best and you can get your entire back done so quickly!  Some other ways/products I recommend is using the dry brush method, which is excellent for those of you have"chicken skin" or tiny bumps which can look like pimples or in grown hairs. 
You can use the body attachment on your Clarisonic, I haven't tried this yet, but I hear it's amazing!
The other thing I love is using body scrubs.  I recommend the Body Shop.  The Shea Butter one is the best smelling one in my opinion.  
**Exfoliating prior to waxing is great to get all those stubborn ingrown hairs out to ensure a smooth wax!

7. I can't begin to tell you how much I rely on Aloe Vera!  I pretty much use it for everything!  It soothes your skin and it heals anything from scars to burns... it's like magic honestly.  
I often put it on at night before bed all over my face like a mask.  I don't wash it off and apply my night time skin care routine right over it.  
If you have a habit of picking at your skin to the point of scarring it, this will help the healing process a lot.  This is also great for evening out your skin tone.
After a day out in the sun, it's the best treat.
If you are buying an aloe vera gel from the store, make sure there are no additives, preservatives, colours etc added.  Natural aloe vera  gel is NOT green lol 
My recommendation is to go out get your self a few plants, pot them and use daily.  One stem can last you up to one week.  I also noticed that grocery stores carry the huge leaves.  Buying the plant or leaves is the most economical and best for you because its all natural.


Now that your skin is all nice and soft and wonderful, go ahead and show it off!  
*Add a tiny bit of gold pigment to your body lotion and put it on your legs, shoulders etc. for a hint of shimmer to give your skin an extra glow.  

XOXO Muffy

No comments:

Post a Comment