Friday, September 26, 2014

Old Bollywood Glam!


Hi Lovelies,

It seems like every makeup look that I see these days is very Bollywood inspired which is AMAZEBALLS cause who doesn't love Bollywood?  


It's vibrant, rich, colorful, full of drama, excessive, big, extravagant, gaudy and more is not more... more is not enough! lol  I love it!  

Dressing up for Desi parties is probably the best part about having Desi family and friends... not to mention the food...nomnomnom

This past weekend my husband and I had the pleasure of attending his cousin's Valima (Wedding Reception), and since it has been far too long since our wedding... I was really going through glam-withdrawal.  So I dug out my wedding jewelry and went glam-ham! lol

I decided I wanted to create an Old Bollywood Glam kinda look, and this is what I came up with...keep scrolling if you want to see some pics and details.


I wore a long black Pakistani outfit with a really nice train on the back...shoulda taken a pic of the train :(  I loved the extra long sleeves!  It was chiffon and had 2 toned gold embroidery on it.  I love black and I love gold so it was perfect!  I really liked how the gold had like an antique finish to it, so it worked really well with my jewelry. 


I knew I wanted to rock a bright red lip, cause let's face it, it it's not bright, it's not Bollywood enough.  I chose to wear Stila's All Day Lipstick in Beso...It's my current fave red... It stays on forever and just refuses to come off!
As for my eyes, I did a cut crease smokey, which you can't really see, and for the first time I double stacked lashes...and now I can never go back to wearing just one pair.  It was ultra glam!
For my hair, I did soft waves and opted not to use extensions since I teased my hair just enough to make it look nice and big and full lol.
I wanted to wear my Matha Pati (Head Piece) but it's mainly made to work with your hair parted in the middle, so I just tucked it under my bangs and left one side exposed.  I have to say, I absolutely loved how it turned out!  The head piece was a wedding pressie from my in laws... It's soooo gorgeous and worked beautifully with my wedding set.
The pearls really added to the olden day feel...and I'm a sucker for pearls any day!



I wore my jewelry from my Nikkah (Wedding Ceremony).  The earrings, that you can kind of see, belonged to my Mom and since I was a little girl, I told her that I wanted them.  So for my wedding, these earrings were part of my gift!  Bless my mama ;)  
The necklace that you see was designed by yours truly!  I basically took the same shape as the earrings and added a little more glamour and drama with stones and pearls.  I was so lucky that we have amazing jewelers that could take my sketch and make it come to life!  
If you are familiar with Bengali or Pakistani or any Desi traditions, you would know that the bride is usually gifted gold (from both sides) that she probably can never wear again since it is usually so extravagant and...extra! lol  So I wanted to design a statement necklace that I could wear with Desi and non Desi outfits.  Versatile and simple is always my goal in any piece that I own. 


The ring that I am wearing in the picture above was also a part of my set gifted from my in laws, I love it and wear it everyday!  




These bangles...sigh...can we please take a moment to look at these beauties?  These were also my Mom's.  Clearly, my Mom has bomb taste because I pretty much love everything she owns! lol  Also a part of my wedding gift I had a choice between bangle sets and I obviously chose these ones...DUH!  I mean look at them, they are so detailed and so intricate... and they look like lace!  Pearls and lace?!?!  Yes please, any day!



This beee-autiful Manthasha (hand cuff) was also designed by me.  I was sooo happy about the way it turned out.  With the cutout pattern on the body of the cuff, it has a real lace feel to it.  Of course I had to add some bling with the stones and my pearls were a must.  Again, they designed it exactly to my sketch, to every single last detail!  
Manthasha's are also usually measured to your wrist size, so it fits perfectly!
I think it has a real Mughal era look to it.  



The clutch was not a gift... It was borrowed from my fashionista Mom.  It's so cute and blingy and fits my phone and lipstick... not that I needed to touch-up lol  I'm going to have to get my own :) 




And here is the full look again.  I'm sad I didn't get a proper pic of my shoes.  I re-wore my reception day shoes.  They were gold, strappy and very very high...I think my feet still hurt from them lol.

It's always such a treat when you get to re-wear your jewelry from your wedding and create different looks by pairing different pieces together. 

Some advice for future brides, if you are lucky enough to choose your jewelry pieces, make sure that they're timeless and versatile and fits your overall style.  
This will ensure that you get the most wear out of all your jewelry. It's such a shame if all that jewelry is just sitting in a safe somewhere waiting to be taken out for a night ;)

Hope you guys enjoyed this post.  It was so much fun to put this look together and equally fun taking the pics.

xoxo
Muffy








No comments:

Post a Comment